On November 07, 2011 the long awaited launching of Google+ branded pages became a reality. I know many of you are probably already stressed with just the thought of another social media page to develop, but as a social media consulting firm we’re here to show you that the process is quite simple.
Before you create a Google+ business page, you will need to create a personal page. Once you have a personal page set-up, follow the steps below.
#1 Getting Started
From the home page of your personal profile you can find a Google+ Pages tab at the bottom right hand side of the page.
- Local Business or Place: This category includes stores, restaurants, hotels, services, or places. You will be asked to input the country your business is located in as well as a phone number. If you happen to be registered with Google Places your profile will automatically be updated with the information Google currently has about your business including – phone number, address and hours.
- Product or Brand: Once selected you have the ability to enter your page name and website. It is important to always enter as much detailed information as possible when working with social media platforms. At the bottom of the screen you must select a category which ranges from Aerospace and Defense to Website. Don’t fit into any of these categories? You can simply choose Brand, Product, Other, or Service.
- Company, Institution or Organization/Arts, Entertainment and Sports: Once again it is necessary to choose an applicable category, however, you have an option to simply choose: Company, Institution, Organization, Arts, Entertainment, Sports or Other.
#2 Selecting Audience
Under each category Google will ask you to define your page’s content under one of the following categories: Suitable for any Google+ user, users 18 or older, users 21 or older, or alcohol related. You will then be asked if you want to be notified of future page updates and finally you will be asked if you agree to the ‘Pages Terms’.
#3 Customizing Your Page
So you have created your page, you have selected a category, now it is time to create a unique profile that sets you apart from your competition.
- Step 1: Adding Profile Photo and Tagline: Here you will be asked to upload a profile photo and tagline (The 10 Best Words That Describe Your Page). At this time you will have an opportunity to start connecting with people through your Google+ page. As a social media company we advise against doing this as your page is still in its infancy and you are still lacking some very important information. You will have plenty of opportunities to spread the message about your new page shortly.
- Step 2: Editing Your Page Information: Now that you have put up a profile photo and entered a tagline you are well on your way to creating an unforgettable Google+ Business Page. To edit your page information you will need to get to your profile by clicking the ‘Profile Icon’ (A circle w/ a silhouette) at the top of the page. From here you will have the opportunity to click on the ‘About Tab’ and finally ‘Edit Profile’. In this section you will have the opportunity to edit your hours, contact info, website, page name, and links to other relevant information. It is important to include links to your other social media sites as well as your blog and business website.
#3 Adding a Photostrip
The last step in the Google+ page setup is adding your photostrip. Used as a way to tell your company story pictures — the Photostrip will sit below your page’s name and tagline.
Much like the banner that we have gotten used to on Facebook; the photostrip allows you to create a display unique to your business. To edit the photostrip you will need to click ‘Edit Profile’ like you did for ‘Editing Page Information’, from here you will click ‘Add Photos Here’ and upload the five photos you wish to display. If you feel like being creative you can take one photo and break it up into five individual photos for a very unique effect!
Congratulations! Your Google+ Page is Ready.